Skip to main content
News

Md. Medics Back on Duty after Mistake

Susan Nicol Kyle

Two Maryland paramedics who pronounced a live person dead last week have returned to full duty.

The patient, taken to the hospital by another crew 90 minutes after being pronounced dead, died later that weekend.

Officers with the Prince George's County Fire Department took the medics off the street while the incident was investigated, according to Mark Brady, spokesman.

On Wednesday night, he said that Dr. Terry Jodrie, the jurisdictional medical director, interviewed both paramedics on Friday, just hours after the incident occurred.

After the incident, all responders were required to review the county's protocols regarding DOAs. This includes an update that requires a medical consult between the provider and a physician.

An internal investigation is still underway, and Brady said that probe could take up to two months.